PCS Dress Code: (Found on pages 24-27 in the PCS Parent/Student Handbook)
Uniform Options: Come in to PCS for sizing and to browse the selection of used uniforms on display. All uniforms can be purchased online by visiting our PCS Uniform Store.
PCS has adopted standardized school apparel for our students that helps develop an environment conducive to learning and respectful behaviour. There are three principles that guide our thinking here — modesty, neatness and cleanliness.
The dress code affects the student in their outward appearance. This includes clothing, hairstyle, jewelry or physical adornment. At the principal’s discretion, any item may be banned that is deemed to be in conflict with the school’s stand on maintaining a positive Christian image.
School apparel must be clean and in good condition and must meet the styles and logo requirements.
When parents send their child to Pickering Christian School, it is understood that they agree to uphold the School Apparel Policy. It is expected that all students will come to school in the appropriate apparel each school day. Children must remain in their school apparel until they are off school property. The School Apparel Policy will be enforced by our teachers and staff. If a student comes to school without the proper school uniform as outlined below, they will be sent to the office and a proper uniform (pants and top) will be given for them to change into. Parents will be notified of the uniform infraction.
The bottom portion of the uniform must be all black and colour-fast.
- Full school everyday apparel includes a PCS Grey or Green polo shirt, black casual pants or dress pants (no sweat pants, track pants or leggings), skorts, knee-length skirt, appropriate black shorts, black/white socks, a PCS black or grey full-zip hooded sweatshirt and non-marking running shoes. The only way to guarantee that shoes are non-marking is to purchase court, indoor soccer or basketball shoes.
- Full school apparel for all performances, special events and off-site field trips include a PCS white oxford/tapered shirt, black dress pants/skort/knee-length black skirt, black/white socks, dark shoes, and a PCS black or grey full-zip hooded sweatshirt.
- Gym uniform includes a PCS red t-shirt* and black shorts* or track pants and non-marking shoes.
- All clothing must be in good repair, fit appropriately and modestly.
Includes all tops purchased through TopNotch (polo shirts, oxford, tapered blouse, turtlenecks, black full-zip hooded sweatshirt).
- Any visible apparel worn under shirts with collars must be white or black and have no printing on it of any kind.
- Approved overtops may be worn providing the PCS logo is visible. (i.e. hooded sweatshirt).
- At all times the approved PCS logo must be visible on the upper body.
Styles need to be in keeping with the chosen school apparel.
- Must be all black and colour-fast (no stripes, no topstitching)
- Must be all black and colour-fast (no stripes)
- Any walking or loose fitting athletic style
- Must meet with school standard of modesty, as interpreted by administration
- Shorts worn under skirts must be black in keeping with approved style
- Must be all black
- Knee-length or below
- Must be all black
- Must meet school standards
- Socks, tights and leggings must be black or white (if visible)
- Any shoe may be worn on-site with the exception of flip flops
- Any performances (on or off-site) or field trips require dark coloured shoes. (Dark shoes may be running, skateboard or walking style)
- Gym shoes must be non-marking (no black-soled shoes). The only way to guarantee that shoes are non-marking is to purchase court, indoor soccer or basketball shoes.
- Full-buttoned white cuff Oxford/French cut dress shirt.
To participate in field trips, each child will be required to wear full school apparel which includes a PCS white oxford/tapered shirt, PCS black or grey full-zip hooded sweatshirt, black dress pants/skort/knee-length black skirt, black/white socks and dark shoes, unless otherwise instructed by their teacher. Children will not be permitted to attend if: (1) they are not properly attired; or (2) their PCS Health Card is not completed.
It is important that students participate in all gym activities. These classes promote a healthy lifestyle and are also a means of teaching co-operation, team goals and sportsmanship.
Each student, from Grades 1 to 8, must have a pair of black shorts or track pants, and a red school t-shirt which can be purchased through the office. The wearing of these items is an integral part of the program and will be reflected in the student’s mark. Proper footwear is extremely important and, therefore, a good pair of non-marking running shoes is necessary. (Please see page 25 for details.)
A gym tote bag is also mandatory (Grades 1-6) and will be used to keep the student’s gym apparel neat and compact in the class and in the change room. Gym bags are available for purchase in the office or any sport store.
If the student has physical limitations (asthma, bone disorders, etc.), written explanations should be given to the teacher so the program may be altered to suit the individual child. A doctor’s note will be required if this condition persists for more than 2 weeks.
Each piece of removable clothing should be marked with the student’s name to ensure return of the garment when left on the playground or in the classroom. Lunch boxes and boots should have permanent labels. Properly marked items will be returned to their rightful owners.