It has been a whirlwind start to the new year. However, to see and hear the halls filled with the enthusiastic voices of young people is a blessing to all the teachers. We are so glad to be back.
This notice is to update you regarding some changes by the Durham Region Health Department (DRHD). Updated documents outlining the description of symptoms, and flow charts of decision-making for various scenarios have been included.
When our return to school document was drafted in late August, the verbiage on the DRHD's website indicated that you could either wear a mask or be physically distant. With that in mind we built the MODO model. Moving in the class or halls required a mask but when you were at your desk and socially distant then the mask could be removed. This has changed. We have been informed that, while in their classroom and in the halls, masks must be worn at all times even if the individual is physically distant from others. (JK- gr. 3 exempt)
- We are scheduling more outside, socially distanced, mask breaks to alleviate the extra time that the masks are being worn.
- ***Please *** continue to fill in your daily screening form prior to 8:00AM, as this assists us in speeding up the drop off circle. Important to note, that on this form the implication of answering ‘yes” to any of the questions used to mean that you should keep the student home until the situation is resolved. The DRHD has now stated that even if you have been around someone who has symptoms or who is going to be tested for Covid-19, you DO NOT need to stay home. Therefore, siblings are free to be at school until directed otherwise by the health department. As we try to adjust the form, please be aware that a yes to this section, does not preclude attendance. PLEASE USE THE NEW - Ministry of Health COVID-19 Screening Tool document below to help with your daily decision making.
- If a child is sick, we ask that the situation be resolved (no symptoms) before they return to school. I have attached a DRHD document that outlines their hierarchy of concern for various symptoms.
- If your child has a pre-existing medical condition that has already been resolved by a doctor (ie. allergies, cough, runny nose) please inform the school, so we are aware of this condition.
- The DRHD has also stated that when groups are standing around outside they should try to physically distance or wear a mask. One such occurrence is during drop-off or pick-up of JK or SK students. If you are getting out of your car and walking up to the gate, we now require you to wear a mask.
These changes can be found in the DRHD documents, which are posted below.
WHAT TO DO IF MY CHILD IS SICK? - (posted Sept. 30/20) REPLACED ONTARIO MINISTRY OF HEALTH - COVID-19 SCREENING TOOL - (posted Oct. 2/20)
INDIVIDUALS WITH SYMPTOMS OF COVID-19 - (posted Sept. 30/20)
STUDENT/STAFF TESTS POSITIVE FOR COVID-19 - (posted Sept. 30/20)
RETURN TO SCHOOL FOR STUDENT/STAFF - (posted Sept. 30/20)
REQUIREMENTS FOR FACE COVERINGS POLICY - (posted Sept. 30/20)
FACE MASK EXEMPTION REQUEST FORM - (posted Sept. 30/20)
ON-SITE HEALTH & SAFETY POLICY - (posted Sept. 30/20)
DAILY WELLNESS SCREENING - (posted Sept.4/20)